Wednesday, 6 May 2009
A Day of Strike Action Thursday the 7th of May 2009
Lecturers will be on strike on Thursday after a substantial majority voted for action to save the University. Since this has always been a joint campaign, we aim to avoid hitting exams but call on all students to join us in collecting petition signatures outside the main entrances of most university buildings in the emorning and at our rally 1-2pm in Holloway Rd.
All students who would like to participate in an event to demonstrate their opposition to the cuts should get in touch. Time is really running out - management intend to make everyone who is dismissed leave before July 31st. Now is definitely the time to stand up and be counted before it is too late!
The cuts will mean:
- up to quarter of the staff dismissed
- nurseries closed
- libraries short-staffed and, in the longer term, closed
- several courses closed and many others severely hit
- outsourcing of IT and Media support
- module choice restricted
- less contact time with staff